This Whole30 Korean Style Sticky BBQ Sauce is just the thing to level up your grilled chicken, ribs, or thinly sliced meats during your Whole30. The star of this sauce is California Prunes which are sophisticated in flavor and carry a multi-dimensional sweetness enhancing the savory additions in the sauce.
- (1) 8 ounce bag of California Prunes
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup coconut aminos
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh black pepper
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp gochugaru chili flakes (Korean chili flakes) ** You can substitute paprika and chili flakes in combination
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of your favorite chili pepper based hot sauce for heat (optional)
- 1–2 tbsp fresh herbs such as green onions or chives, torn or chopped (optional)
- 1–2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds(optional)
How To Make: Whole30 Korean Style Sticky BBQ Sauce
Step 1: Boil water and soak the California prunes for 10 minutes to soften.
Step 2: Add all the ingredients into a blender, including 1-2 cups of the water you soaked the prunes in depending on the desired consistency of your sauce. You can start with 1 cup and add as needed to thin it as desired. Blend the sauce well, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed until fully incorporated and silky smooth.
Step 3: You can use this as a marinade for any meat or poultry at this stage, and you can reserve some for this purpose before you cook it down to make it thicker and stickier. If you want to use it as a thicker BBQ for glazing, dipping and drizzling, proceed to step 4.
Step 4: Cook the sauce down for 10-15 minutes on low, stirring often until desired thickness consistency. Use this sauce for drizzling over grilled meat or poultry, a topping over bowls or on a burger! Really, use this to drizzle over anything to amplify the flavor.
- Category: Whole30
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Korean BBQ Sauce, Korean Style BBQ sauce, Sticky BBQ Sauce, Whole30 BBQ Sauce, Sugar Free BBQ Sauce