It’s Middle Eastern inspired spiced ground beef browned to juicy perfection served over creamy store bought hummus and served with anything you’ve got on hand. It’s a healthy, flavorful weeknight family meal that rivals takeout.
Spiced Beef Over Hummus Ingredients:
- 1–2 tbsps olive oil, split for cooking the beef and drizzling over the hummus
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound Country Natural Beef’s Butcher’s Blend (brisket, short ribs, chuck)
- 1 10 ounce container of your preferred hummus
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Baharat / Ras El Hanout / Moroccan Seasoning blend
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Baharat Seasoning (makes 1 Spice jar full): You can substitute your favorite store bought Baharat or Ras El Hanout seasoning, or make this and have on hand.
- 2 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp clove
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 2–3 tbsp crunchy topping – Dry toasted pine nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or chickpeas over top for added flavor and crunch
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs, finely chopped – parsley, cilantro, mint, or chives would all work great to add freshness.
- ½ cup chopped cherry tomatoes (in warm seasons) / Pomegranate (in cooler seasons) to add color and depth
- Lemon Juice – a squeeze of lemon over the top of the meal adds brightness
- Sumac – a tart and bright seasoning often sprinkled over hummus
Step 1: Remove your Country Natural Butcher’s Blend Ground Beef and store bought hummus from the fridge for 10 minute to come towards room temperature. Season the meat with Baharat seasoning blend, kosher salt and cracked pepper and briefly, gently mix.
Step 2: Start by warming the large skillet. Once it is warm, drizzle in enough avocado oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is heated, add the shallot and cook for 1-2 minutes until it starts softening. Spoon the shallot out to a small dish. Add a little more olive oil if needed, and then add the spiced meat. Quickly spread it into a thin layer with a wooden spoon or spatula. Leave the meat undisturbed for a few minutes until it is seared and browned. Using a fish spatula, flip the meat in sections so it can sear on the other side. When the meat is nearly done, add the raw crushed garlic and the cooked shallot into the meat. Mix it all up to cook the garlic a bit and break the beef up into small chunks.
Step 3: Spread the hummus into a thin layer with a rubber spatula into a shallow medium sized bowl. Top the hummus with a little drizzle of olive oil. Carefully spoon the ground beef over top followed by sprinkling the other optional toppings as well.
Step 4: Serve this with whatever sides you’d like, or alternatively as an appetizer with pita, crudites, chips, or crackers.