- 1 whole chicken
- 6 cups of chicken broth *compliant + water to cover the chicken in the instant pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil + 2 tsp (divided)
- 3 cloves of garlic, whole
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- ½ tsp caraway seed
- 1 medium onion, chopped as desired (we like rustic, chunky soup ~1/2” dice)
- 4 carrots, chopped as desired
- 6 stalks of celery, chopped as desired
- 1 bulb of fennel, chopped as desired
- 1 medium rutabaga, chopped as desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley (optional)
- SALT and pepper the chicken generously.
- PUT the chicken, broth and water to cover the chicken under high pressure on poultry setting.
- CHOP all the vegetables.
- HEAT a large soup pot on medium, add 1 Tbsp olive oil, spices, and garlic until fragrant, 2 minutes. *you don’t want the spices to burn, but the layered flavor is thumbs up!
- REMOVE (and reserve) the seeds with a spoon, leaving as much oil as possible.
- ADD all the vegetables in, + the rest of the olive oil.
- Sautee until softer, but still al dente – they’ll cook more in the broth.
- PULL the chicken from the bones.
- ADD chicken + all the liquid + spices to the vegetables.
- CONTINUE cooking until desired veggie tenderness.
- SERVE with parsley for freshness.