This recipe for Burger Caprese Sandwich takes a juicy burger made from the gold standard Country Natural Beef Butcher’s Blend of brisket, short ribs, and chuck and tops it with pesto, fresh mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes, balsamic reduction, basil. It’s SUMMER on a plate and a wonderful meal to make for company. A Whole30 option is included!
Beef Burger Mix:
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- Kosher Salt & Pepper to taste
Caprese Sandwich Topping:
- 3 Tbsp Pesto, divided
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, thickly sliced (preferably two colors)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced and divided
- 2 tbsp mayo, divided
- 1 tbsp balsamic reduction, divided
- 9 leaves basil, divided
- Kosher salt & pepper to taste
- 3 brioche buns, lightly grilled
- Iceberg lettuce buns
Step 1: Remove the Country Natural Beef Butcher’s Blend from the fridge and allow it to come toward room temperature. Preheat the grill to 450 degrees. Divide the meat into three even balls, and form them into thick, even burger patties.
Step 2: Prepare the toppings and then, simply grill the burgers cooking for approximately 4 minutes with the lid fully closed before flipping and cooking for another 3 minutes. Check with a thermometer and remove at 135 degrees for a medium burger (pictured). If grilling the buns, add them to the grill once it is off for 1-2 minutes watching closely.
Step 3: Lay out the bottom bun or lettuce bun, and spread the mayo. Top the mayo with the burger, pesto, two slices of tomato, mozzarella, balsamic reduction, basil and then the top bun. I highly recommend wrapping the whole burger in parchment paper and slicing in half.
Whole30 Variation Burger Caprese Sandwiches
You can easily turn this decadent burger into a suitable meal that’s Whole30 compliant using a few simple ingredient swaps!
- Cream Cheese – While dairy is not allowed on a Whole30 reset, you can use an almond milk cream cheese with Whole30 compliant ingredients.
- Lettuce buns – brioche buns look great, but the lettuce bun is a super refreshing and delicious swap to make this Whole30 Compatible.
- Dairy Free Pesto – using dairy free pesto that’s either store bought or homemade will enhance the burger with so many herby brightness without the dairy!
- Category: Whole30
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: caprese burger, caprese burger sandwich, whole30 burger, pesto burger