- 1 Tbsp of your preferred high-heat oil (coconut oil, ghee, or avocado oil) 6 cups of compliant stock (whatever you have: beef, chicken, veggie) 1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 Large Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots , roughly chopped
- 1 bulb of fennel, roughly chopped
- 2 roses of garlic (I prefer roasted, but you can absolutely do fresh). 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 Sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- PREHEAT oven to 300. REMOVE the roast from the fridge and let it come towards room temp while you prep the other ingredients.
- CHOP up the veggies. GENEROUSLY salt and pepper the roast all over.
- HEAT up a heavy-bottom Dutch oven over medium high heat, add oil. CAREFULLY place the roast in the hot oil. Hot oil splatter is not fun.
- SEAR the meat, approximately ~ 2 minutes on each side, remove it to a plate. ADD broth to deglaze the pan, and using a wooden spoon move any of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- ADD the veggie, herbs, garlic, and canned tomato to the Dutch oven. PLACE the seared roast in with the veggies and stock.
- COVER and cook for 3 1/2- 4 ****in the oven. hours ensuring meat is covered in liquid – this will make sure it is tender!
Our favorite way to eat this on a busy weeknight: Stuff a small sweet potato with the saucy meat, and some steamed spinach and broccoli!